Thread: Our First Contest - Counting to 1,000

Monday 18th - 17:35

Monday 18th
    18:30

Friday 22 july 2005, 14:00

Exclamation The winning guess

Wednesday, July 20, 16:23

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Do you mean Tuesday the 19th, or Thursday the 21st? There's not a Thursday, July 19th for a couple of years...

Thank you Mickey, the correc date is:

7:30 PM onTuesday, 19th of July, 05

Admin note: Fixed broken quote tag
    Last edited by Mickey; 07-17-2005 at 03:32 AM.

Lemme propose something theoretical. Say I choose to make my "guess" on the 890th person *thread won't be locked till 900*. And I make the guess for say Wed 12 6:29 (thats not my guess btw) And uptill that date I sit down and wait, and say 80 new users join. Then at 980 I sit down and start making new users till I get to the thousandth which I will make at near perfect time. Would that be allowed?

My guess is

Sat 13, 4:23

how about no. I won't say why.. but it wouldn't work... unless the admin were dumb... or you were smart.

nuff said.

My guess...

September 1, 2005 18:35 hours PST (4:35 pm PST)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathpasser
    Lemme propose something theoretical. Say I choose to make my "guess" on the 890th person *thread won't be locked till 900*. And I make the guess for say Wed 12 6:29 (thats not my guess btw) And uptill that date I sit down and wait, and say 80 new users join. Then at 980 I sit down and start making new users till I get to the thousandth which I will make at near perfect time. Would that be allowed?

My guess is

Sat 13, 4:23

Quote Originally Posted by deathpasser
    Say I choose to make my "guess" on the 890th person. And I make the guess for Wed 12 6:29 And until that date I sit down and wait, and say 80 new users join. Then at 980 I sit down and start making new users till I get to the thousandth which I will make at near perfect time. Would that be allowed?
    I love it when people try to find loopholes. It is a nice try, but there are two reasons why this *probably* wouldn't work.

First - read rule number 8 again. We would hope that our wonderful GEH members wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to sign up 20 times under different email addresses.

Second - what if we get to 980 members on Tuesday morning? That is 24 hours before your estimated time, and adding 'new' members would be detrimental to your quest.

The only way you would win is if your guesstimate for the time/day of member 1,000 is really close, and you were online and checking. Besides, on the admin side of the vBulletin software, IP addresses are visible, so if we see member 980 through 1,000 all come from the same computer, we can cross reference to your IP address and invoke rule number 7. Then we give your email addresses to every spammer on earth!

(Just kidding, the administrators and moderators of GEH are super nice people - we would never give any email address to a third party, it says so in the TOS and in the privacy statement)

Now - read rule 6 again, and watch rule 10 come into existence:

Rule 10 - By entering this contest you promise that you are a nice person and that you won't attempt to force the time/date of the 1,000th member by creating any new members using an alternate email address.
    Last edited by Appletom; 07-17-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Well done deathpasser. Who else has a great (or even lame) loophole for winning this contest? dalllam had a great try, putting down a day and date that didn't match, he potentially had two entries in one post. But he fixed that and now we have rule 11 - if the day and date don't match, the day overrides the date.

(And I sure hope that Mickey has a way of seeing what time a user joined up, moderator access to the back end of vBulletin only shows date joined, not time)

July 21, 01:02 MST

--mizary

Default Gotta go with 23

Saturday July 23, 2005 ;-)

Thursday,July 28th, 9:04 pm U.S.,Canada,MexicoCity-Central Time
    Check out the all new hYpe Entertainment to see some of my cool music remixes. Just go to hYpe Entertainment

Default Apple

Loopholes are fun XD

"Second - what if we get to 980 members on Tuesday morning? That is 24 hours before your estimated time, and adding 'new' members would be detrimental to your quest."

Ya, that could help screw the whole thing over preaty bad.

Another thing I was thinking about was signing up multiple accounts just for guessing many different dates/times. But then again, the whole thing with IP addresses being visible messes that up. I could get around the IP address problem thanks to a number of factors but I won't. Let's just see when the 1000th member comes. I'm also thinking about contrbuting to the files and stuff. Yep, that sounds like a good idea too =D

My guess was preaty off, after seeing the number of members who joined between my last post and this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom
    (And I sure hope that Mickey has a way of seeing what time a user joined up, moderator access to the back end of vBulletin only shows date joined, not time)
    Yep, I can see the time as well. I imagine that as number 1000 draws close, though, enough of us will be on here to note the time it happened.

Also, we're over 900 now, so this thread is closed.

Here are the entries:

The Shrike - Friday, 10:23*

light_warrior - Friday 12:25*

kevinolean - Saturday 7/16/05 17:37

jtibedo - Sunday 7/17/05 8:00am

phil_k - sunday 08:16*

op2ddj - Monday 09:15*

brombomb - Sun 17 July 2037

macebobo - Tuesday 7/19/2005 22:35

Falcon - Monday 18th 11:00AM

grav8e - Monday 18th - 17:35

perclissigi - Monday 18th 18:30

LemonIce - 07.19.2005, 0800

dalllam - 7:30 PM on Tuesday, 19th of July, 05

shredder - Wednesday, July 20, 16:23

Mickey - Wednesday, July 20th, 10pm

mizary - July 21, 01:02 MST

aquastor - Thursday, July 21, 20:15

henk - Friday 22 july 2005, 14:00

mikebuck - Saturday July 23, 2005 ;-)

hypeserver - Thursday,July 28th, 9:04 pm

deathpasser - Sat 13, 4:23

tehrob - September 1, 2005 18:35 hours PST (4:35 pm PST)

tehrob gets the award for most pessimistic. deathpasser gets the award for least clear entry, had to look at a calendar to see what month had Saturday falling on the 13th. deathpasser almost got the biggest loophole award, but we have to give that award to The Shrike, light_warrior, phil_k and op2ddj (asterisked above) - they were the four who were smart enough to not put a date (the instructions say "Post only two items - the day and the time") so, technically their entries are valid week after week. My fault for creating that loophole, I really figured that member 1,000 would have shown up last weekend. Oops. Oh well, if one of those four hits the mark we will just have to give away two prizes :-)

I would have guessed last Sunday at 11:11. Now, will somebody double check my times in this post against the times posted below to make sure I copied and pasted properly? Thanks! (Send a PM if I goofed)