This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Stuetzpunktgruppe (Strongpoint) Loekken

The battery site is very impressive and conspicuous as it partly lies on the beach due to coastal erosion. The way the bunkers lie fully visible on the beach gives the visitor a good impression of the layout of the original battery site. The battery stretches ca. 600 m along the coast. The original depth of the battery was ca. 200 m. Due to a coastal erosion of ca. 50 m since the war, the bunkers of the battery now lie partly on the beach.

The first line of bunkers (now on the beach) consisted of the four gun positions (open as well as bunkers (M272)), the firing control bunker (M162a) lay in the middle of the beach. At the northern end there was a bunker for a 150 cm search light (Fl. 277). Immediately behind the gun positions were situated the crew bunkers (M160). At each end of this row was a bunker for a light anti-aircraft gun (Fl. 242). Situated further back, to the rear of the dune, are more crew bunkers (622) and ammunition bunkers (134, 607). In the low area behind the high dune was the barracks camp of the battery, together with the well bunker (675). As mentioned above, a part of the battery lay on the beach due to coastal erosion. The battery was, and partly still is, situated on a high dune, which is up to 24 m above sea level and stretched up to 100 m into the hinterland.

Behind the high dune is an area with lower dunes. The rear side of the high dune and the area further back is densely covered with weekend cottages. The general state of preservation of the battery site must be considered bad because of the coastal erosion. The part of the battery which lies behind the brink of the dune is not easy to detect, as the area is densely built up with summer cottages. The bunkers lying on the brink of the dune and on the beach are partly broken and filled with sand. The strongpoint was established in January, 1943 when four old Danish 12 cm coastal guns were moved from the Flakfort at Copenhagen and emplaced north of the village L°kken. At first the guns were mounted openly on concrete foundations. The construction of the first permanent bunkers (Regelbau) started in the first months of 1943, and the first was poured in April. The battery position was basically completed by the end of 1943. However, in the beginning of 1944 it was decided that bunkers for the protection of guns (Regelbau M 272) should be built in the battery; this work was carried out during the summer and the second half of 1944. In February, 1944 the Danish 12 cm guns were replaced by new German 12.7 cm guns. The strongpoint is partly owned by the Danish state, and partly by private parties. The beach and the brink of the dunes are owned by the Danish state, and thereby also the bunkers lying in this area. The bunkers in the hinterland lie on private soil.