Thread: Some Simple Rules For This Forum

Default Some Simple Rules For This Forum

With the rapid growth of this forum, here are some tips (OK - Rules) that everybody should follow when making posts:

1 - Come on people, use a spell checker. Which of the following two requests is more likely to be responded to?

hi - i need to nkow where to get a pictur of texas.

or:

Hi - Does anybody know where the kmz file for The Alamo (in San Antonio, Texas) can be found?

So please, let's make GEH the best forum out there. Act professional and have a little pride in your work and your words, especially the proper spelling of those words.

2 - Can't believe we still need to tell people this, but typing in ALL CAPS is considered shouting. The moderators will just flat out delete postings in all caps.

2a - writing entire postings in all lower case. also not a good idea. it makes you appear immature. remember grade school? we learned that the first letter of every sentence should be capitalized. it just looks silly when you type like this.

3 - If you want to put a photo into your posting, PLEASE (yep, that is shouting, but on purpose) make sure that the image you upload is no bigger than 800 pixels wide. Most monitors out there have the resolution set to 768 x 1024. If you make your image 800 or fewer pixels wide, then nobody will have to scroll side to side to read postings. We will be going through and converting all of the current images that are too big.

If you don't know how to convert your screen shot to 800 pixels wide, go to the help menu of your photo editing software.

4 - Last but not least, be involved. GoogleEarthHacks is the fastest growing community for people who love Google Earth. We would love to hear what you think and we look forward to your postings.

5 - Tell a friend or ten. Most likely, you are involved in other forums, blogs, bulletin boards, and/or listservs. Share GEH with your friends on those places. If you have a website, feel free to put a link to GEH.

Thanks in advance for using your spell checker, being polite and intelligent, properly sizing your photos, and sharing the word about GoogleEarthHacks.com.
    Last edited by Mickey; 07-14-2005 at 06:57 PM. Reason: No bbcode in this forum, but HTML is ok

Default with all due respect...

In response to your rules, you spelled "to" wrong in #3. It should read, "too big." I mean no disrespect whatsoever, just a friendly reminder that pobody's nerfect! I look forward to many more great things on GEH.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by luckyschop
    In response to your rules, you spelled "to" wrong in #3. It should read, "too big." I mean no disrespect whatsoever, just a friendly reminder that pobody's nerfect! I look forward to many more great things on GEH.
    Good catch. Thanks for the heads up. Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyschop
    It should read, "too big."
    I nominate luckyschop (Kyle) to be the official proofreader for GEH forums. Man, I read that posting a dozen times, even printing it out before posting, just to make sure I didn't do something silly. You caught me.

Like Mickey said - Good Catch!

Default Spelling and grammar

I agree with your comments wholeheartedly.
    Obviously some of us haven't had the benefit of a 2nd grade education but as you mentioned there is a spell checker.Duh! Where's the spell check icon?
    Another method which is useful is a little application called, "WordWeb".
    It's great because it also gives synonyms as well as grammatical aids displaying verbs, adjectives etc.
    It sits at the bottom (Taskbar) in the form of a small icon, you just highlight the word and click on the icon or you can just type the word straight into the WordWeb window.
    Great for those words that we "sort of" know but aren't quite sure of.

Default well....

agreed.
    apart from 2a. you dont really need to do this online as it involves pressing more keys.
    but when your writing on paper, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tizerist
    agreed.
    apart from 2a. you dont really need to do this online as it involves pressing more keys.
    but when your writing on paper, yes.

I hope you are not being serious.

Oh no, you may have to work out your pinger finger while typing!! Grow up!
    Latine loqui coactus sum! Latro! fremo!
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Si sapis, sis Senatus!

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

If you could save yourself, would you save us all?

have just download wordweb nice little program
    because it's a long time ago that i went to school

If you all would read the original post for this thread, then maybe you would know not to start sentences with lower case letters and such. Please, it only makes you look stupid when you do that, but act your age.
    Remember what movie these are from? I bet you don't!
    "You do well in school?"---"Yeah"---"Good, so did I, that's what they call a paradox"

"How's your mother?"---"Oh... I'm afraid she's on her way out."---"We all are. Act accordingly."