Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomahawk Cruise missile

Default Tomahawk Cruise missile

Not sure if this has been poste before, but I found it quite unusual, Especially in Mainland USA
    Attached Files Attached Files

I saw the title of the post and thought, "Oh boy - yet another reflection off some building somewhere."

So I opened the file with the intention of finding some of the posts here on GEH that point out how sunshine reflecting off certain buildings can indeed look like the flame from a missile.

Boy was I in for a surprise. That's an honest to goodness missile - in flight, no less, that Monkey Boy found. GOOD FIND!

Nope.
    It's a large Bizjet, possibly a Gulfstream. Or even a Bombardier pax jet. Look at the rear nacelles. ICBCM's have one engine not two.....there are two vapour trails too.
    Look closely at the wings...which can be seen better at an eye altitude of about 280 meters.
    ..........and, it's been done on this forum within the last 3 months.

If it's a jet, it is taking a severe turn with a huge bank angle. The missile is about 25 meters in length, but the wingspan is maybe six meters.

Sorry Old Shape, I still vote missile.

Turn on GEC layer and you'll see about 20 posts about it. Haven't read them, but looks like a CRJ to me. You can see the wings and the cockpit window.

Matt

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Sorry, Appletom, it's an aircraft, no missile.

http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9718

We had that object before. You can't see the full wings maybe because of their dark color. But if you look closer you can see the shape of wings.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

I hate it when I'm wrong. Clue one: It's to long to be a missile. Clue two: The dual contrails - contrails are caused by wings, a missile doesn't really have wings, just fins. Clue three: The front of the "missile" does appear to have a cockpit. Clue four: Turn on the GEC layer and many, many people have already figured it out.

And yes, I can now clearly see the wings.

Should have known better than to disagree with our resident pedant Old Shape. Sorry Monkey Boy, I've got to change my vote to airplane.

Clue five: Captain and McMaster already figured it out here in GEH

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

LOL - I should have started with clue five

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    I hate it when I'm wrong. Clue one: It's to long to be a missile. Clue two: The dual contrails - contrails are caused by wings, a missile doesn't really have wings, just fins. Clue three: The front of the "missile" does appear to have a cockpit. Clue four: Turn on the GEC layer and many, many people have already figured it out.

And yes, I can now clearly see the wings.

Should have known better than to disagree with our resident pedant Old Shape. Sorry Monkey Boy, I've got to change my vote to airplane.
    Contrails are caused by Aero engine exhaust. You can get a visible vortex from a wing, but not in a normal cruising attitude.....and they tend to only exist for a few dozen feet aft of the wingtip.

Ah, just looked again at the pic on my other PC (better graphics card), and I have to agree, It's an aircraft. if you zoom in, you can just make out the black wings on a white body.
    Sorry for getting every ones hopes up

Talking it is a missile i think

i think it is a missile.you can found fog behind it an shadow bellow, look the end of it ,you will find it is very different from any kind plane

It is an aircraft. The fog behind is the contrail of a two-engines-jet like a Canadair jet

And if you look closer you can see the shape of the wings which are dark and not white...

Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by orr View Post
    i think it is a missile.you can found fog behind it an shadow bellow, look the end of it ,you will find it is very different from any kind plane
    I've had 30 years in the Aerospace/Defence/War business, and it's a jet aeroplane.

Cool

thats no airplane, if it was how do you expect it to manouver with such little wing span area ! It is a missile, they dnt bneed wings only small ones to ajust movement slightly ! as shown in the picture !