|Designed by Gaudi 1878. The first commission that Gaudí received in an official capacity was from Barcelona Town Council. It was to construct diverse street lamps for the public illumination of the city. He designed them with three and six arms, crowned by a winged helmet, symbol of the commercial power Barcelona had enjoyed and continued to have at that time. The street lamps are gaslight and are conserved in the heart of the city: in Reial Square, close to La Rambla, and in Pla del Palau, the old port entrance.
With the passage of time came electric light and the lamps were electrified. They have recently been restored so they continue illuminating public areas as they did 125 years ago.|
Location: Barcelona, Spain
View in Google Earth
View in Google Maps