|The Kentucky Governor's Mansion is a historic U.S. residence in Frankfort, Kentucky. It is located at the East lawn of the Capitol, at the end of Capital Avenue. On February 1, 1972, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
It was built in 1912-14 to be the governor's mansion, to designs submitted by Weber, Werner & Adkins of Cincinnati, Ohio; besides the Kentuckian architects normally credited with the design, the brothers Chris C. and Edward A. Weber (1875-1929) of Fort Thomas, partners in the firm included G.S. Werner, and J.S. Adkins. The brothers Weber were selected from among four firms invited to submit plans. The new mansion replaced the Old Governor's Mansion, built in 1798, which still stands, at 420 High Street, Frankfort. The Act specified that the new mansion should be "constructed, trimmed and finished with native stone produced from quarries in Kentucky." The Beaux-Arts design owed a great deal to the Petit Trianon at Versailles' interiors were in neoclassical French taste. The landscaping design for the mansion was developed and implemented by William Speed of Louisville.
Location: Frankfort, KY
Category: Buildings: Government
View in Google Earth
View in Google Maps