|Drumthwacket is the official residence of the Governor of New Jersey and was built in 1835 by then-future Governor Charles S. Olden.
In 1893, the property was purchased by Moses Taylor Pyne, a Trustee and great benefactor of Princeton University, who greatly expanded the home and constructed an elaborate decorative garden. The renovations and expansions under Pyne were carried out by architect Raleigh Gildersleeve, who also built many buildings on the Princeton campus, as well as a number of Princeton's eating clubs. Pyne died in 1921, and the property was sold by his granddaughter, Agnes Pyne in 1939.
Drumthwacket and the surrounding land was sold to the state in 1966 and was made into the governor's mansion in 1982. Located in Princeton, New Jersey, Drumthwacket is close to Trenton, the state capital. Prior to 1982, Morven was the Governor's mansion. Drumthwacket is administered by the state Department of Environmental Protection, with the interior run by the Drumthwacket Foundation. The residence is known for its extensive gardens.
Location: Princeton, NJ
Category: Buildings: Government
View in Google Earth
View in Google Maps