|The old clock from FC Arsenal's former stadium, Highbury.
The Arsenal clock famously graced Highbury for over 70 years. First erected in the 1930/31 season, it was one of the many features of Highbury instigated by ‘the great innovator’ Herbert Chapman.
Originally the clock provided supporters with a 45 minute count down, but the football association believed this undermined the match officials and the Club soon changed the clock to a conventional timepiece.
It was first positioned on the north stand, then known as the 'Laundry End' but it was eventually moved to the south stand then the 'College End' in 1935 when the North Bank was covered. Over the years it has become synonymous to that stand with most people now referring to ‘The Clock End’.
For the past decade, esteemed clock makers and maintainers Smith of Derby have been charged with the upkeep of the Gunners’ clock, ensuring it remains in good condition and of course keeps time accurately.
Smith of Derby have continued their traditional links with the Club by building a superb replica of our famous clock which takes pride of place in Emirates Stadium's 'Diamond Club'. The clock is a half-size replica of the original, measuring 1.3m in diameter as opposed to the original’s 2.6 metres.
The original clock from the Clock End stand at Highbury has been installed at Emirates Stadium and now sits high up on the outside of the stadium appropriately facing the Clock End Bridge as a symbolic reminder of the Club’s time at Highbury.
The Clock, which is three metres in diameter, was originally put into position in the North Bank at Highbury on August 28th 1928 but moved to the south terracing in 1935 when the North Bank was redeveloped and roofed. The south stand subsequently became known as the Clock End and the Clock became a famous icon for Arsenal and its Highbury home.
Ken Friar, long standing Arsenal Director, commented; “Throughout the move to Emirates Stadium, the Club always felt that it was important to supporters and everyone involved with the Club that parts of Highbury and the Club’s history, that are so intrinsic to Arsenal, were brought along to our new home. We hope that supporters will enjoy seeing the famous Clock when they visit the stadium for many, many years to come.”
The Clock, which was taken down from Highbury on July 27th 2006, was lifted into place by a 25 tonne crane and took four people, nine hours to install.
Location: London, England
View in Google Earth
View in Google Maps