|Kalundborg Radio is a major transmission facility for long- and mediumwave at the harbour of Kalundborg in Denmark. The site was inaugurated in 1927 and now has transmitters for 243 kHz longwave with 300 kW and 1.062 kHz mediumwave with 250 kW plus a common reserve transmitter.
The longwave antennaFor the longwave transmitter an Alexanderson aerial is used, with two grounded 118 m steel lattice radiating towers connected by top capacitance wires. The northern tower is fed from the transmitter through a top coil, with the top coil of the southern slave tower being fed via the capacitance wires.
The mediumwave antennaThe medium wave transmitter uses an insulated guyed steel lattice mast aerial with a height of 147 metres. All mast virtually stand in the sea on the narrow Gissel°re peninsula, which allows for excellent radiation efficiency.
The base of the mediumwave antennaIn 2007, analogue transmission on longwave from Kalundborg were suspended after 80 years of service. Longwave transmissions were resumed in DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) at reduced power on 3 October 2008 after substantial modifications to the aerial earlier that year.
Analogue transmissions will continue on mediumwave with a restricted time schedule until 2010. The analogue longwave transmitter is known to have replaced the mediumwave and DRM transmitters from 16-31 October 2009, and is thus still available.
Location: Kalundborg, Denmark
View in Google Earth
View in Google Maps