|This is the original site of McDonald's at Route 66 (owned by the McDonald brothers), which opened as the Airdrome in 1940 and converted to the first McDonald's in 1948. It was here that Ray Kroc tried to sell Dick and Mac McDonald a MixMaster in 1954 and ended up buying their name.
It is now the headquarters for the Juan Pollo fast food chain.
April 2008: Albert Okura, founder of the Juan Pollo restaurant chain, bought this property in a foreclosure sale. He knew its history and turned part of it into a McDonald's Museum. A curatorial staff is available to give tours to school groups.
(From Roadside America)|
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Category: Route 66
View in Google Earth
View in Google Maps