The primary mission of the 446 AW is to provide combat airlift for the United States military.
The 446 AW began by Training in troop carrier and tactical airlift operations, 1955-1972. The 446 AW was the first Air Force Reserve organization to implement the Air Reserve Technician (ART) plan, in 1958. By 1959, the wing transported and airdropped troops and supplies during training exercises. The 446 AW flew experimental drop missions in support of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) from 1962-1967. Between 1958 and 1972, the wing operated the USAF Combat Crew Training School, the first Air Force Reserve institution that trained active duty crews. They ferried C-130s to Taiwan in 1966 and to Southeast Asia, 1968-1970. Since 1973 the 446 AW has been co-located with 62d Airlift Wing and used its aircraft. The wing flew special assignment, channel, and humanitarian airlift missions worldwide, and took part in joint and combined training exercises involving airlift of troops and cargo. The wing’s operational squadrons took part in operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1990 and 1991.