This seven-story tower was completed in April 1944 on a leased 1.94 acre site as a Base-End Station and Radar Station for Fort Dearborn. It is now owned by the Shoals Marine Laboratory of Cornell University. Searchlight positions #6 and #7 were located elsewhere on the island. To the north of the tower past the old USCG Boat House were the Army station barracks (Site 1B) and the Navy’s Magnetic Indicator Loop Station along the gravel spall road to the Army-built crib wharf and pier (completed Sept. 1943). The Army pier was destroyed in a storm in 1947, and was never re-built.