399320ADMIN

Point Mugu Naval Air Station

In October 2003, he Blue Angels performed here:

The history of most of the Navy’s Guided Missile and Drone programs is the early history of the Navy at Point Mugu. During World War II, the Navy simultaneously had efforts underway to develop sites where both missiles and pilotless aircraft could be tested. In 1947, Congress appropriated funding to establish a permanent Navy presence here for this purpose. Since the mid-1940’s, Point Mugu has had several "Center Names", all with the mission to develop, test, and evaluate missiles and related systems, and for drones to use in naval test programs. Oct 1, 1946 – U.S. Naval Air Missile Test Center Aug 1, 1949 – Naval Air Station Jun 16, 1958 – Pacific Missile Range Jan 7, 1959 – Naval Missile Center Apr 26, 1975 – Pacific Missile Test Center Jan 21, 1992 – Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division and Naval Air Weapons Station

Missiles such as Oriole, Lark, Gorgon, Regulus, and many others have been developed and tested at Point Mugu. Many roads aboard the base bear these names. A park on Navalair Road proudly displays many of the contributions and developments for which Point Mugu has received world-wide acclaim…

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *