The summer palace covers 2.9 square kilometers (3/4 water). the history of the complex starts in 1750 (under emperor Qianlong); and it suffered two major attacks: during the Anglo-French allied invasion of 1860 and during the Boxer Rebellion, in an attack by the eight allied powers in 1900. It was rebuilt two times. The name “summer palace” was given in 1888 because it served Empress Dowager Cixi as a summer resort. In December 1998, UNESCO included the Summer Palace on its World Heritage List.