The Dell in Milton Road, Southampton, England was the home ground of Southampton Football Club, between 1898 and 2001 when they moved to their new St Mary’s Stadium.
The stadium was opened in September 1898, with the inaugural match on 3 September being against Brighton United. The first goal at the stadium was scored by Watty Keay, with the others from Abe Hartley, Jim McKenzie and Tom Smith, as Saints won 4-1. The stadium had been built for an estimated £10,000 by George Thomas, a local fish merchant, who had bought the land just off Hill Lane and had transformed what was a natural dell, a lake flanked by banks of woodland. Thousands of tons of rubble had to be used to provide the foundations for the new ground. Initially the stadium had open staging behind each of the goals with stands along each side. The estimated capacity on opening was 24,500, of which 4,000 were seated.