In 1884, the San Juan de Salvamento Lighthouse was built on the Isla de los Estados. A Subprefecture was also built and its function was that of rescuing eventual shipwreck victims.
The lighthouse was named the "End of the World Lighthouse", due to a novel written by Jules Verne (Le Phare du Boute du Monde. Dc.1905). It was the only light that sailors had in the Austral sea. It was also the last reference before Antarctica, or what was otherwise previously called, the unknown.