The Needles is a row of distinctive stacks of chalk that rise out of the sea off the western extremity of the Isle of Wight, England, close to Alum Bay. A lighthouse has stood at the western end of the formation since 1859. The formation takes its name from a needle-shaped pillar called Lot’s Wife that used to stand in its midst until it collapsed in a storm in 1764. The remaining rocks are all short and squat and not at all needle-like, but the name has stuck. The Needles can be considered as an extension of The Undercliff, the cliffs which make up much of the southern coast of the Isle of Wight.