A Gothic castle which is known from the 10th century, but the castle hill was inhabited also in the Celtic and the Great Moravian era. In the middle of the 16th century, Bratislava became the official coronation town for Hungarian Kings and at the castle there was a residence of the king. Later, the castle was rebuild in a Renaissance style. The south-west tower – also known as the jewel’s tower – housed the Hungarian coronation jewels for two centuries.The last large reconstruction in Baroque style took place under the reign of Maria Theresia (1740-1780). In 1811, the castle was burnt down and only ruins were left. It was reconstructed in 1956-68. Bratislava Castle is an important landmark and a National Cultural Monument.