Guimarães Castle (portuguese: Castelo de Guimarães), located in the city of Guimarães, Portugal, was ordered to be built by Dona Mumadona Dias in the 10th century in order to defend its monastery from Muslim and Norman attacks.
Count Dom Henrique (to whom the County of Portugal had been granted) chose Guimarães to establish his court.
The fortress, then over a century old. The nobleman chose to destroy what remained from Mumadona’s construction, while extending the area of the castle and adding two entrances.
The castle became the official royal residence from 1139, when Portugal became independent from the Kingdom of León, until circa 1200.