Fondly known as Hermann the German, the Hermann Monument in New Ulm dominates the Minnesota River Valley skyline. Inspired by a similar monument near Detmold, Germany, this colossal figure served as an important symbol for members of Sons of Hermann, a fraternal organization of German Americans. In 1885 the 362 Sons of Hermann lodges across the country committed themselves to the construction of a monument representing their cultural heritage. Through the determined efforts of Minnesota’s 53 Sons of Hermann lodges, the monument was built in New Ulm, home to many German immigrants.
Hermann Monument has a total height of 102 feet. Constructed of sheet copper over iron, the 32-foot statue stands on a 70-foot iron column encircled by a spiral staircase to the dome, which is supported by 10 iron columns and a Kasota stone base. The only National Register property of its kind in Minnesota, the monument remains, for many Minnesotans of German descent, an impressive remembrance of their homeland.