A 1945 aerial view of Hutchinson.
Hutchinson was selected in 1942 as a site to provide primary training for the Naval Air Reserve.
Until the station was completed, the Navy made temporary use of the town’s municipal airport. The airfield was commissioned at the end of 1942.
The first training planes used were N2S-3s & N2S-4s, which were later replaced by N2S-5s. The station acquired another school training crews of PB-4Y Liberator bombers in 1944.
At its wartime peak, Hutchinson had a complement of over 5,000 personnel