The Battle Box is a popular name of the underground command centre constructed under Fort Canning, Singapore as an emergency, bomb-proof command centre during the Malayan campaign and the Battle of Singapore. The decision to surrender Singapore was taken in this bunker on the morning of February 15, 1942, four days after Lt. Gen. Percival’s Combined Operations Headquarters (COH) was moved here from Sime Road during the Battle of Kranji. It was later occupied by Japanese forces during the Japanese Occupation of Singapore. After the war, the Battle Box was sealed off and its exact location forgotten. It was rediscovered in 1988, and converted into a tourist attraction.