Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum is located at Bangaluru, Karnataka, India. The museum was instituted as part of the centenary celebrations of the engineer-statesman Sir M. Visvesvaraya (1861–1962). It is more of a "Science Centre" than a museum. It was handed over to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in 1962. In 1978 when the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) was formed, Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum became its southern head quarters. The Council has a chain of 28 centers spread all over India. The objective of the Council is to popularize science through interactive exhibits.